Monday, October 14, 2019

Mini Photo Wallet Tutorial by Jennie Atkinson

Hello Jennie (Live the Dream) here with you today sharing how I made my little photo wallet with flaps and pockets for journalling or adding more photographs.



I never tire of making a wallet or mini album from a single 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock or patterned paper and this is one Shetland Scrapbookers made many years ago and has been a great staple and extremely popular - wheeled out most years for one of our meetings!

This is a photo heavy post but I am sure you won't mind! I am using cardstock so you can see how the wallet is made, but it works best with good quality pattern paper. Also my apologies for such a filthy mat! ..... I thought it was quite clean .....


Score the 12 x 12 sheet at 4" and 8".


Then turn the sheet 90 degrees and score at 3", 6" and 9".


Cut the piece from the top as shown - ie 9" x 4" but do not discard.  (This is the same piece of paper! the light must have changed considerably in the craft room!)


Turn the sheet over so the inside is facing you.


Then fold the bottom layer up.


In order to allow the wallet a little "ease" you need to trim about 1/4" off the right side edge.


It is not very clear from the photograph but also for a little "ease" it is helpful to score a 1/4" spine in the top flap.


I also like to cut a little half circle in the middle pocket using a punch. It makes it easier to get the journalling card out and looks quite neat!


So now everything is ready to stick together. I have used thin red tape on the two outside pockets.


Using a bone folder to create a good crease, fold the right hand pocket over.


Then the left hand side pocket to meet the middle.


Then fold the flap over - this will be the back of your paper.


Take the piece of card you cut from the top of the sheet at the very beginning and create two journal cards by cutting on the score line.


The larger piece with a little trimming fits neatly into the middle pocket.


For the cover band cut a strip of card 9.5" x 1.75" and score at 4.25" and 8.5". The little 1" flap at the end can then be glued to create the band.


The band sits neatly over the left hand side of the wallet and the small journalling card sits neatly underneath.

I hope all that makes sense. And here are a few photographs of how I decorated my pages. Look for small stamps which can be used for little collages. I also had a sheet of vintage stamps which worked well with these photographs of my parents. The photographs are rather small for a 12 x 12 layout but just perfect for these little pages.








Thank you for still being here! I hope this little wallet and tutorial becomes a favourite for you all as it is with us. We have no idea who in the group found it or where but it looks fabulous in either vintage or modern papers and also allows the use of smaller photographs or where one has to crop heavily to get the best part of a photograph. I have enjoyed being able to share it with you.

With best wishes to you all for a great crafting week!

Jennie x